Stoicism and Priestess work


Before hearing the call of Goddess and joining my Sisters on the Priestess path, Stoicism was always my default position. It added depth and foundation to my life as a helping professional, and I relied on it many times in very challenging situations. Stoicism teaches the development of self-control and fortitude as a means of overcoming destructive emotions; the philosophy holds that becoming a clear and unbiased thinker allows one to understand the universal reason (logos). Stoicism is predominantly a philosophy of personal ethics informed by its system of logic and its views on the natural world. According to its teachings, as social beings, the path to happiness for humans is found in accepting the moment as it presents itself, by not allowing oneself to be controlled by the desire for pleasure or fear of pain; by using one's mind to understand the world and to do one's part in nature's plan, and by working together and treating others fairly and justly. And once on the path of service to Goddess, some of the above presented a problem that needed to address. How can I reconcile the inner life of the mind, and it's mechanisms that I trusted very much as they proved to be highly effective and the knowledge of the heart that enlightens the life of anyone who follows Goddess? How can I find a way to merge logic and emotion without avoiding emotion as destructive or Me as needing excessive self-control? These were fascinating concepts! And resolving this internal conundrum became a separate homework on its own. And I found no easy answers. As there is no official Goddess dogma or any rule book I could check for a "correct answer" I was left on my own, experiencing Her gifts and feeling my way around. And this is very important. I was feeling things and not going in circles, deciding the best way to control my feelings and accept the situation but accepting the situation in its fullness through my feelings. With this, I needed to get out of my head and into my heart, something that I avoided for many years.  I would do it at work because as a Gestalt Psychotherapist this was my duty if I wanted to give my clients the absolute best results, but in my personal life, I would instead choose logic then any other way of experiencing the world. And now on my Priestess path, I favour emotions. What I have noticed and experienced multiple times is that through Her and my feelings I achieve a more precise and quick result. It is like a Goddess shortcut. In a very simplistic way, it is a turning away from a masculine system to a feminine system of world understanding/experience. And while I know the masculine system intimately and reaped many rewards from it, the feminine system is still to be fully uncovered, and I doubt I will have enough time in my lifetime to experience all. I am not abandoning Stoicism, but favour something else now. Efficiency alone convinced me on a practical level as well as the spiritual. I would not prefer to feel my way around rather than to analyze it. I would accept all that comes into my life not due to fortitude but rather greatfulness. Small changes that took a long time to germinate now bring new insights, and while I am still resilient under pressure and believe firmly in cultivating goodness, the pressure of overcoming is gone and in its place is a current like a river, where everything that is - is, and all is felt first. 

Comments